The below provides a high level summary of immigration requirements for Colombia. Whether a traveler may enter as a business visitor or requires a work permit depends on the traveler's nationality, duration of stay and activities in the country.

Allowable Activities

  • Note: The following may be conducted as a business visitor provided they are conducted on behalf of a foreign employer:
  • Conduct negotiation or conclusion of contracts (Visitor (V) visa holders only)
  • Conduct commercial representation
  • Attend business meetings and discussions

Basic Requirements

Requirements to apply for a Visitor (V) Visa for business activities:

  • Submission letter issued by the legal representative of the company (national or foreign) taking full responsibility for the employee during the trip to Colombia with full description of the activities to be performed in Colombia
  • Certificate of existence and representation of the Colombian company or its equivalent abroad
  • Company’s last six months of bank statements to demonstrate sufficient funds
  • Note: To apply for a PIP-6 permit upon entry (certain nationals only), the foreign national must present a passport valid for at least 180 days and with at least 2 blank pages, round-trip tickets, and a letter of responsibility issued by the Colombian entity justifying the presence of the foreign national in Colombia, specifying that the activity that the foreign national will conduct in the country will not be under a local labor relationship.

Maximum Period Stay

Visitor (V) Visa for business activities: This visa is issued for multiple entries. An authorized stay of up to 180 days continuous or cumulative in a period of 365 days is permitted. PIP-6: This permit is issued for a single entry. The maximum initial period of stay granted on a PIP-6 permit is 90 days. An additional 90 days may be requested for a maximum of 180 days per year.)

Work Permit Types

The main type of work visa issued in Colombia is the Migrant (M) Visa for local employment or based on a service agreement. The Visitor (V) Visa for intra-company transfers and the Visitor (V) Visa for temporary services are also available.  

Maximum Period Stay

The Migrant (M) Visa is issued for up to three years, depending on the duration of the employment contract or service agreement.