- Founder and CEO of the only US immigration law firm to win national awards for innovation, global business immigration and pro bono service
- Named one of nation’s 3 “Preeminent Practitioners of Immigration Law” (Chambers Guide)
- Ranked 10+ years in “Nation’s Top 20 Immigration Lawyers” – only firm with west coast lawyers in the Top 20. (HR Executive Magazine)
- Launched two technology companies and innovated four immigration web-based products that have helped employers and professionals comply with visa, labor, tax and travel rules worldwide for over 20 years.
Former Deputy Attorney General in California, Julie founded the firm along with Alan Nelson, the former head of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service under Presidents Reagan and Bush Sr. Within three years, she developed ImmigrationTracker®, the immigration management system used by a majority of top-rated US immigration firms, as well as many Fortune 1000 companies and institutions. She has since led development of multiple compliance technologies that have been used by millions of US workers and their companies.
Connection to Immigration
All four grandparents were brave immigrants who worked hard and believed in fairness. By luck of being a dual Canadian-US citizen, I got to live in the International Students’ House at Stanford University. I met brilliant classmates there — individuals with the potential to change history in their fields. Yet they were all worried about how to stay securely in the U.S. once their student visas expired. I vowed that I would learn all I could about every single way to help talented people get visas and permanent residence.
- California’s only “Eminent Practitioner” in Immigration, Chambers Guide to Leading Lawyers
- “Nation’s Top 20 Immigration Attorneys” and “Nation’s Most Powerful Employment Attorneys” – HR Executive Magazine
- “100 Women of Influence in Silicon Valley” – Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal
- U.S. News Best Lawyers/Law Firms, and SuperLawyers of Northern California
- International Who’s Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers
- 25 Largest Women-Owned Businesses (and #1 Law Firm) – SF Business Times
J.D., University of California, Hastings Law School
M.P.A., Harvard University
B.A., Stanford University
What is a fun fact about you?
While in high school, I placed 6th in Michigan for Giant Slalom ski racing. My athletic career has been “downhill” since then(!), but it was briefly profiled in a chapter called “Roll with the Fall” in the book “Business Lessons from the Edge: Learn How Extreme Athletes Use Intelligent Risk Taking to Succeed in Business.”
English, French, Spanish
My Family's Journey